Saturday 3 March 2012

The Eyes Have It (part 2)

The Mold:

This part will be the same as the mohawk lens build.  Plasticine for the base and plastic for the walls.



The difference from the mohawk build is the fact that we need to make a second half mold. So, we need to make "keys" so the 2 halves can join back exactly in the same spot.
TIP: Just found a pencil. Pushed it down around 1/8".  Those 3 little "noodles" that are attached to lens are there to mold the channels where the resin and air will be travelling through. I'll explain this during the resin build.

TIP: Once the walls are up, I drew a "pour line". It's roughly .5 inch high. This line will tell me when to stop pouring the mold liquid. Any less, then the mold would be too thin... any thicker, then it's just a waste of good (expensive) mold material. It's my goldilocks line.

I had a new box of RTV Rubber Mold stored away for years. It's a 2 part mix compound. 20:1 ratio (Rubber:Catalyst). I was going to start this half tonight, but when I opened up the box... I found the catalyst was completely dried out! UGH!

Now, this sub-project will have to wait till I can make a trip out to the supply store. 

I hate delays when I'm inspired and motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment