Sunday 26 February 2012

All Primed Up

Primed:

All the major pieces are complete. And a few smaller details. The entire head was painted primer. Was super excited to get to this part. But, that excitement quickly turned into disappointment. Now that the entire head was one solid colour, ALL the detail errors is visible now! Had to fill in areas with putty. Some I'm still hoping I can fill in with paint later. (Hoping the paint is thick enough to do so)


Obstacle: There was a gunk of hot glue between the helmet and the "sideburn". Even after I cut out as much as I could, the mess was still clearly visible. A total eyesore! UGH!! Either I go back in and just pick at it with a knife or razor until it's all gone... or just figure out a way to just cover it up. I doubt the paint is thick enough to cover this one up. Solution: yet to be figured out.



Looking pretty good sitting there... from afar. BUT...


Obstacle: And this one is a HUGE one. I had to try it all on. With everything on. Wanted to see the weight and its distribution. And it's not good. Not good at all. The V-fins, while isn't that heavy in my hands independently, weighs significantly more when it's mounted on the forehead. This is because it's a good distance from my own head/neck. When in motion, this weight is even more noticeable. Even though the entire head with all the gizmos only weighs 4 lbs. it's pretty light. BUT, I'm in it for the comfort as well... remember, no compromises. I want this thing to be super light. As if I'm only wearing a hat. A hat that I can wear for an extended period of time. I could mold and cast the entire unit in foam. But, that's really REALLY expensive. Solution: yet to be figured out.



No comments:

Post a Comment