Sunday 12 February 2012

Retractable face

Now that the 2 major pieces are assembled. I can tackle one of the biggest features on my costume. The retractable face. It looks like there is clearance. It'll be close. So, it's a green light for now. 
Time to move forward!

Obstacle: Well... I had a feeling about this one when I hung it to dry. The face dried too wide. Meaning the pivot points that I had made in Pepakura stage are too far apart and will not line up with the pivot points inside the helmet. Since I had reinforced it already, this thing will NOT bend. If I force it too hard, it will break. 


Sooooo.. out comes the Dremel tool. Equiped with a mini cutting disc. The pivots gets chopped. 


Now, I have make something in its place. Starting out with a block of hardwood.

Using Chicago screws to bolt the hinge joint together. The bracket is simple "All Round galvanized bracing" The holes are perfect size for the Chicago screws.




The wood is screwed into the helmet from the bottom.

Done. Works like a charm.

Here's a video of the face retracting.

And a close up video of the mechanism. Simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment