Tuesday 14 February 2012

Head rigging

Rigging:

Now on to some rigging. 

I needed to find a solution on how my noggin attaches to the helmet itself. It needs to be strong and lightweight. (that will be a reoccurring theme on this build) It's also very tricky because I can't simply anchor it any random spot. It needs to yield clearance of the retractable face! And of course, it needs to be comfortable.

Found some galvanized strapping. Comes all rolled up. So when I pull it out, it already has a curved shape! Perfect for my head. I initially was going to rivet all the joints so it'll be nice and clean. Unfortunately, my rivets were a tad small.. and fell through the holes. So, I simply used wires and twist tied the joints together. Works just as good. (and cheap)

This mannequin head is a bit smaller than my own. So I left some room. I also anticipate on using foam  padding for more comfort.


There were LOTS of trial and error in building this rig. I can't even count how many times I had to take it apart and fasten new joints. Patience is definitely an asset here!

Once I was happy with the head brace, I wrapped the entire thing with hockey tape. It was the only thing I can find around the house that was matte black and flexible. It works very well here. The tape does a good job in keeping all those wires from poking into my skull.


No comments:

Post a Comment